Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Writing Wringer

Have you ever felt like you were being put through the wringer of an old washing machine? Well, that's what I feel like right now. God has shaken the dust off of me, paid special attention to the stains, washed me, ran me through the wringer, then rinsed the soap residue off and put me through the wringer again. THEN, every few months, or even daily, we go through the whole process again.

This concept applies, in varying degrees, many areas of my life in varying degrees. Writing seems to be the area getting the most attention right now. I have been a "writer" for a long time...actually more years than I want to mention...I started seriously writing a novel about seven years ago. I still have the dusty manuscript on my all but obsolete desktop. A lot has happened in those seven years, and for a time I had all but given up my faith. Writing nearly fell by the wayside. It is only by the grace of God that I didn't walk away from His calling, and more importantly from Him! For three and a half years after my husband passed away I wandered aimlessly in the wilderness of self-pity...though I never admitted to myself that is what it was. Thankfully, God drew me out of that wilderness and set me back on the right path, and he also rekindled my love for writing. He has given me new stories to tell, and a desire to share them with others--Which means I have to actively seek publication...In other words, I have to put myself out there in the form of an on-line presence. Blog--check. Facebook "fan" page--check. Website--check. None of those things are what I really want to spend my time doing...BUT...I have to be willing to do them in order to be able to proclaim the Gospel through writing. Daily I have to remind myself of the fact that the "self-promotion" is not really self promotion at all. It's promotion of Him in me and the things He has called me to do so HE can be made famous. Honestly, I don't like it and it scares me, but I can't stop writing either! So, as He runs me through the "Writing Wringer" I will trust him to accomplish the work he has started. After all, He is the author and perfecter of my faith! (See Ephesians 2:10 & Hebrews 12 )

(Side note: Christian fiction was one of the ways God drew me back to him. Reading about characters struggle with life and faith, and then finally leaning on God through the hard times opened my eyes to the reality of my own struggles, and lack of willingness to deal with the issues of life)

No comments:

Post a Comment